Monday, February 2, 2009

True Life


I'm going to give you the true life low down on my paris experience.

First of all, school BLOWS. Its terrible. Its a joke. The professors are pompous hootinanies, the facilities are non-existant, and the classes are un-engaging. This is demonstrated by the fact that all the students that go there talk often about transferring.

Here are somethings that happened at school:

1. Drew plants for 4 hours (with feeling.) Our homework is to draw the movement of the plants. This week we're allowed to use one color.

2. Had a 30 minute lecture about how keys work (yes, the things you open doors with) from our sculpture professor Wade, who also told us that he is the most knowledgable person about sculpture that we will ever meet.

3. Excerpt for a discussion class. As a preface, there is a girl in this class that goes "hmmmm" after anyone says ANYTHING, enlightening or otherwise.
ie "we will discuss allen kaprow" " hmmmmmmm"
"think about your eating habits" "hmmmmmmmmmmmm"

girl 1: "We don't have identites because we act differently in every situation. We're always acting"

boy 1: "Why are we all so afraid of being fake. Let's just realize that it is our true nature to be so"

hmmm girl: "Well I go 'hmmm' when I'm thinking here and at home. So I'm not fake."

girl 1: "Well that doesn't count because you know you're doing it."

hmm girl: "Of course I know I'm doing it. I'm not a RETARD"

4. And just so everyone knows, Rafael, one of my studio teachers, thinks that Foucault and Barthes aren't really saying anything at the heart of it all. And he knows, he's read it IN FRENCH. If only I had Robert Gero with me ...... we could take him down. I have a strong dislike for this man. He made me cry and then made fun of me for it. In front of the whole class.
He also is a popmpous asshole, here is an excerpt of a conversation with him:
Rafael "I don't think of myself as an artist, just a painter
Me: "That's good. I think its better not to get caught up in it all."
Rafael "Yeah, it's just hard when your paintings start to sell for $50,000......"
Me: "You're just an expensive painter then...?"


Okay, so that was a pretty negative rant.

Let me be positive for a moment. Because school is a joke I will have time to do lots of things that I want. Like
1. Read books
2. make zines
3. make my own work that does not involve plants.
4. Do yoga everyday and become a master
5. travel, travel, travel, travel (we are going to go to iceland!!!!!)
6. see lots of art, and reflect on that art.

When I step back from the situation, I realize that it will be a good experience in
1. Moving to and living in a big city
2. being my own best friend
3. what life is like as a working artist (SELF MOTIVATION NECCESARY)

Best Things About Paris:
1. Macaroons
2. Yogurt
3. the metro is fabulous, fast, and easy
4. I bought flourescent pink pigment powder (like the ones Trex used for Chris Duncan)

OH, and BY THE WAY:
to my professors and fellow students:
Thank you for being awesome. I miss you dearly. If anything, this experience has made me realize how lucky I am to be surrounded at WashU by intelligent, creative, and kind peers and faculty. You are all fabulous, and I would be much obliged if you'd send me your ideas and thoughts about work/art so that I can keep up a creative dialouge (which does not exist at Parsons.) Also, I'd just like to know what you're up to.

okay, ill post some more uplifting news lata. but for now contemplate how delicious these look


Okay, so now you know.

5 comments:

  1. crap on parsons for being crappy.

    yay for your for making the best of it. I am so glad that La Duree macaroons were prominently featured in this blog post. This shows that you have already been assiduous in seeking out the best places. When you were there, did you wander around in those amazing upstairs rooms? I think they are private party rooms or something, but they look unchanged since the 1700s, and on your way to the bathroom, you are free to just wander up and down the hall and look into them as you please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Annie! It is Anna. I tracked you down creepily (via John Witty...via Kat)

    Anyway. I watched the puppy bowl for like five minutes yesterday and thought of you.

    I am sorry the school sucks so bad. Say hello to the Louvre for me. And the venus of samothrace. And the Musee d'orsay. but not anything by degas. boo degas (research paper on him last semester...)

    Anyway...

    Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ANNIE!!!!! i'm so sorry things at parsons are not so great... BUT you are such an optimistic person. I know you will have so many adventures and valuable experiences outside of school. I'm really excited to see what you make - especially zines! Maybe we can do some international mail art... jerusalem-paris. What do you say?

    I'm with you on the self-motivation! The schedule here at Bezalel is going to be very different form Wash U.

    Take care annie! talk with you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie, reading those conversations reminds me of the Warhol diaries. I was laughing hysterically at the HMMMMM girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and how awesome will it be when you both come back next year? We (the juniors and I) talked about how much you and Katie are missed during the silkscreen demo. We all had a sad moment there in the dark room to the sound of the vacuum table. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete